The Stress'
16 August 2006
Stress.
In singapore, this word is a commodity.
Why is this word so frequently used? Abused even.
Stress comes up in the minds and chit-chats of adults. Complaining about everything, from the workload to their deliquent children.
Stress comes out in the language of teens and tweens. With naive minds, they perceive stress as schoolwork, projects and imbecilic people.
Children seem to have it best. While everybody complains about stress, they frolick about oblivious to anything except maybe catching that damn butterfly, or playing catch.

But what is stress really?
This word is overused and it's meaning has lost it's sharp edges. It has become a dull word. With adults shrugging it off, laughing in the face of their young ones. Providing no comfort and warmth, thinking that their stress outlives all. That the hard times were over.
But, how the mind perceives stress is another question.

If one never experiences the so-called hardship of war, starvation or the lack of money, they would undoubtedly feel stress is of another form. That of schoolwork. In turn, the adults have never experienced the stress of school work and the never ending special classes would not know of this major factor.

However so, the significance of stress to adults should not be undermined. They rush projects, work long hours, having to entertain that irritating superior.
Sound familier?
Teens and below have to rush projects AND homework, study half a day, and having to entertain numerous irritating superiors.
Of course, the determinant of this is the complexity of the adults projects and workload. But this is expected. Adults are supposedly more mature in speech and thought. The adults get money .Their ability to work out of seemingly decadent situations is admirable.
Also, there is the problem of raising a family. I cannot give a true neutral view. The world is seperated to with family and without family.. Or more specific starting family and no starting family.
I know that my views cannot be accurate, but neither are they obsolete. In Sunny Singapore, Families mean money. Money mean work, work leads stress. It's starting to sound dangerously repetative. Almost a vicious cycle. In a world context, why cannot we go easy on life like New Zealand or Australia? Judging from my visits there.
In a more personalized note, I have numorous friends complaining about stress. While some are understandable and others laughable. I fall victim to my own words, a contradict to myself.
I myself hate using the word stress. It is not true I do not fall victim to this Word.
But every answer has an solution, every problem can be solved, every assignment finished.

So why Stress? I frequently question myself. There are many worse off then me.
So I lose a few hours off sleep, big deal. So I missed ONE outing. Bully fer me. So I skipped one tv show. There will and always be plenty more. While I may complain, stress always is kept shoved somewhere in the dark reaches of my vocabulary.

I have been described as easy-going, blur and what not. While I cannot assure you otherwise those adjectives help little in my battle with stress.
Everybody complains about what they have to do, envious with a giant green-eyed monster staring at that group who always seem to be carefree.
Is it true? Nary so.
More often then not human nature overrules all, even sensible thinking. So I Am saying that human nature is a overrides sensible thinking. This cannot be helped. Hence the word Stress.

Stress itself is defined as the subject of physical and mental pressure.
From this, it is possible to deduce that the word stress simply means pressure.

We seek everything from divine intervention to simply running away from this dreaded word. With pressure seemingly bursting out if it's 8 word seams. We cannot escape.
Or can we? Is it just a matter of thought?

And while I have rambled on, the question will and would always stick with me.
Why Stress?

Cheers.
~R.Ho, 7:46 AM
profile
Ho Wei - 14/04/89
PKC, TP, BUS
Reuben's Blog
links
Eugene

Jap

Patrina

Grace

Faiz

Vivian

Shirley

Selyn

Dan

Jas

Calvin "Still Scouse"

Val

Michelle

JS

tagboard

archives