Little girl and Negro magic'
25 September 2006
My emotions run rampant most of the time. The only difference is that it never hits my outer shell.
I recently viewed In America.
That would be the title. Simple.

The movie was captivating, enchanting and very heartwarming.
I was once told that my ability to express my emotions by words were admirable.
However, not so outrightly.
When/While I and my older bro watched that commercial-free movie, our faces remained expressionless.
This is common, mandatory even. Yet, emotion is not absent. The still air among us was moving, saturated with relief. Our eyes were fixated on the screen for roughly over 2 hours. Such was the impact, if one can call it, of the movie.
This is what movies should be all about. I have lost a considerable amount of interest in watching movies/ tv shows. While I have nothing against them, and while I might contradict myself in the future.. In America easily surpasses any movie I've ever watched.

Not that there is much difference. There is the common garden-grass variety.
As in the ho-hum-dum-bore chinese serials which everybody seems to be ensnared by.

Then there is the run-gun-shoot-fight movies.
I do enjoy them, occasionally. But there is that negativity, stagnant effect that lingers.
Hardly memorable. Like a gunshot wound.
I was invited to watch Miami Vice twice. 4 stars out of five must make it a pretty good movie. But I can almost imagine the movie.

Also, the bimbotic-solo-esqe-girly movie.
Reminds me of Charlie's Angels or maybe the more recent John Tucker Must Die..?
Eye candy is maybe the only reason I agree to view these movies, and maybe the comic relief.
Even that gets boring after a bit.


But! In America. Is raw, dripping with emotion, coupled with astounding acting and a great storyline. It kept me guessing, repelling all attempts to guess to outcome, riveting is the word.

It is about a Irish family moving to New York. The two girls have made the part their own, they are practically living the movie.
From Ariel's childlike innocence, Christy's eyes of the movie, Samantha's compelling resurrection of a strong mother, Johnny's empowering role as a dutiful father and Mateo's heartwarming turnaround. From....
Greatness.

The scene that Johnny tries to win a doll for Ariel, just to see a smile on her face, his daughter's face. Almost blowing every cent they had.
It will linger in my mind, for a bit longer then the female lead choosing between two male leads.

Little girl and Negro magic.

Cheers.
~R.Ho, 9:15 AM
profile
Ho Wei - 14/04/89
PKC, TP, BUS
Reuben's Blog
links
Eugene

Jap

Patrina

Grace

Faiz

Vivian

Shirley

Selyn

Dan

Jas

Calvin "Still Scouse"

Val

Michelle

JS

tagboard

archives