Compromise'
11 September 2007
Wasn't it so important in Primary School to be liked, to be included in the regular soccer game or the five stones club. In today's context, to be included in the Maple Story fanclub.

Everybody compromised and compromised again to fit into the system which eventually led to nobody really being themselves.
There were exceptions, without doubt, people called them outcasts.

It was frequently accepted by parents that this phase in life will pass and everybody will pass teenage years just being themselves giving little care to the masses around.

However, I think otherwise. Personally, Yes, I give little care to the general mass to be well-liked and popular. However, for myself, the need to be liked, to be appreciated remains large. This is especially so for people I spend time and effort to make happy or people I genuinely like.
I frequently compliment people for stuff I find stupid, or smile at the dumbest jokes or canter to the tune of these people.

Do I feel aggrieved? Do I feel stupid?
Occasionally, but more often then not I don't mind. These people are my friends.
However, subconsciously I will want them to repeat the favour. To make ME happy.
The time spent making someone else happy has been numerous in recent occasions with the increased influx of friends since I entered polytechnic.

Of course, there's no rule for everybody.
People in general compromise to get along with the crowd, some prefer to be in the limelight, some prefer to blend in. All of which requires compromise.


There are people around that I think I do things solely to make them happy.
Is it true?

I don't think so.
There's always this feeling of " I hope that person likes me more after I done this for him/her"

This all sounds quite bad.
It paints the picture of a guy doing good stuff just to be better liked. Or little ol me asking people to do me favours.
This however, is the pessimistic point of view.
The better point of view is that it is healthy!
Nobody really gets hurt from doing good stuff and even though there might be more than one intention everybody really enjoys it.


I, myself like many others enjoy doing good stuff, compromising certain values to make others happy.
It's always the subconscious that nags at us.
That subconscious is also the one that leaves the cliche " I wish I could stop thinking"


However, after all this.
Do something nice today, make someone feel happy.

Give something up, do something, travel somewhere.

For making people happy needs more credit than it gets now.


Credit to Republic O M writer who gave me inspiration.
Kudos.
~R.Ho, 9:27 AM
profile
Ho Wei - 14/04/89
PKC, TP, BUS
Reuben's Blog
links
Eugene

Jap

Patrina

Grace

Faiz

Vivian

Shirley

Selyn

Dan

Jas

Calvin "Still Scouse"

Val

Michelle

JS

tagboard

archives