He sparkled in a white shirt, pressed and tucked in. The clink of cuff links, the shine on shoes spoke, he walked in a big stride, arms akimbo, purposefully, the image of a successful, busy businessman. He was my friend, he was asking me to join his business where he couldn't tell me unless I came down to see operations for myself. I had been forewarned by the most intelligent people I know, Sherman and Hongwei.
I was half a step behind him, I take big steps, so if people walk faster than me, there was something up. I was slightly amused, he had a small brush on the back of his left knee where somebody probably brushed the bottom of a shoe. I started talking, my slow drawl, mumbling, placing my right hand behind my head awkwardly sometimes when the words that I wouldn't let come on clearly. The image of a slightly awed friend who he thought was inferior.
I puffed out my chest, walked as fast as him as we neared the coffeeshop, I had to show him that I was not inferior, I had to show him I was trying my absolute best to keep up with the awesome image of his.
I had to show him I was trying to impress him. I HAD to show him I was trying to impress him.
He seemed to be believing, I sat slowly and ordered food and drink for him. He sat there, taking out an expensive leather wallet and commenting on the age of my phone.
I smiled at him, looking into his eyes, waiting for him to talk about his company. I chatted about the superficals mostly, school, plans, past. He answered and laughed with me and I cherished those moments where he really seemed like a friend.
Soon I asked him about this company he has which he earned $3000-$5000 a month, impressive figures at the very least. He didn't meet my eye. "Better for you to come down and see, for seeing is believing, listening is deceiving" I was amused, wow, a catchphrase. Still I had to maintain my image, "wah, nice, next time I can use that phrase to other people" I said, showing myself slightly embarrassed and impressed with his change after not seeing him for so long.
I asked him some more questions, spooning duck rick slowly in, I was hungry. He deflected them and I noticed them jumping all around the *in my opinion* "C" grade coffeeshop.
Tsk.
tsk.
I thought, what happened to my friend. He continued speaking, and I didn't hear, I decided to only hear the last part so I could answer appropriately, I had done that many times. I looked at his posture. His left elbow on the table, right hand gesturing, eyes flickering around. He seemed slightly nervous and anxious to accomplish something with me. He noticed me looking at his eyes and looked directly into mine. After all, who doesn't know flickering eyes meant untruths? He stared at me, he showed confidence. I was amused again, I looked away, after all, I wasn't supposed to stare, he had the upper hand. Again I showed that.
The meal was ending, I had learnt nothing about his company. The last 15 minutes had been about arranging another meeting to go his company. I told him how busy I was, he was very interested in my schedule, I told him details of my schedule on how I liked driving and giving tuition, and he wasn't interested.
Tentatively, he said, we'll meet on tuesday.
Selfishly I thought I looked better in a suit than him, cos I was taller and he he he.
But back to the serious portion where, I looked at my friend, who once I comforted because of his poor results and where we had fun when he came over to play Playstation and drums a while ago.
And I was no longer amused, I ended on a dominant phrase. I said indirectly (I still had an image to keep) about wanting my friend back. He was instantly and completely agreeable but he was business-like agreeable.
I was sad.
He wasn't the friend I knew anymore.