An old re-run was playing on the telly. I sat crossed-leg, comfortable, slightly amused, slightly tired; my focus on the clock on digital screen. The accelerated clock on my mantle had already passed the mark and I paid no attention to it. I glanced around the room and wondered briefly whether there was any irony in "living room" and that I was turning 20 soon.
The canned laughter sounded again on screen, a comedy. The screen clock continued ticking, I smoothed the covers of the sofa, feet rested nicely on my mattress. There was 30 seconds left. An excited friend had already made her intentions clear fifteen minutes ago.
Still it continued ticking, I spun the white-grey remote on my hand, and scanned through channels, spotting my favourite show. I smiled, the blinking orange light caught my attention on my screen; 4 more seconds. I thought, well I always wanted to see when the calendar changes so I stared and it happened. As innocuously as 4 seconds ago, it was the day that I was born 20 years ago.
A few messages rang into my cellphone, well-wishers. "Nice to know" I thought.
A genuine thought came up in my mind, a la television - should I reminisce about my past? Still in my mind's eye I glanced around. It was reasonably cool, I had set up my bed, I had brushed my teeth, I wasn't hungry and I was comfortable. My mind was in the familiar drone that I knew that I was resting it and it made me feel that I managed to lessen and reduce the electrical signals in my brain. I used to worry I was dumbing it down too much, but I have grown to love my brain after a particularly stressful school period that I went through without getting stressed. No, there was no need to reminisce.
Still the simplest of things I love, the ones that accomplished with no additional hoopla. There were of course the nagging that seeped somewhere, I let it pass, there had to some form of motivation.
I scanned my well-wishers, they were the same, some over-excited, some brief, some cool, some witty, most I liked.
My laptop was burning my lap, I was slightly worried but I placed it with a small bounce to my right. It was quiet, calm and silent, I was alone. Time had passed, and I settled in my imprint on the sofa to catch Barclays highlights as I began another train of thought about football.
I was 20.